Improve contributor experience and PR backlog

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 6 11:01:07 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 16:44:31 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Rather than the default mode for a change to be rejected until
>> enough people sign off, we make the default for every change
>> to land. This puts the onus on reviewers to note exactly what
>> adjustments need to be made in order for it to land [4].
>
> I really do like this idea. It could work if the review window
> is increased to maybe one week and everything without a "needs
> changes" tag (or "needs consensus" for major changes) is fine
> to merge then.

Unfortunately, this only works when the number of reviewers is
high and they review everything. Phobos contributions have about
four regular reviews and about ten people who review on and off.
I can't blame people for not reviewing things at once, because
the things that I review take a while for me to get through
because I find the process a little tedious (not a D/Phobos
specific thing, it's just about looking at other's code). I
usually allow for two weeks before I ping someone because of this.

The PR of mine you referred to had serious problems on it's first
implementation and should not have been pulled in 36 hours. There
was even a whole form discussion about it:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/n0p4s3$5em$1@digitalmars.com

While I would love nothing more than for reviewing to go faster,
I can't think of any mechanism to force reviews and contributors
to respond faster to comments/make comments.

On a more positive note, trivial changes usually are merged
within two days.