Object-Oriented Programming is Bad

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 6 14:18:50 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 20:33:39 UTC, sigod wrote:
> Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM
> Article:
> https://medium.com/@brianwill/object-oriented-programming-a-personal-disaster-1b044c2383ab
>
> Interesting talk. Especially given that my D code tends to be
> structured very similarly to what Will suggests.

Perhaps interesting, but also annoying and backwards. OOP was
developed in Simula in 1961-1967 by Nygaard and Dahl. Dijkstra
wrote about structured programming in the late 60s, and Dahl,
Dijkstra and Hoare coauthored the book "Structured Programming"
in 1972...

If OOP turns into a personal disaster it probably is the result
of not actually trying to implement an OO-model, which is the
purpose of having OO mechanisms in a language. However, nobody
has ever suggested that you should only do OO modelling, and you
can  implement an OO model in most languages, even C.
OO-modelling is a tool.

*shrugs*