The most enjoyable programming language I've ever used

Michalis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 7 10:57:12 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 14:23:51 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On 07/03/16 3:19 AM, Michalis wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I just started learning D yesterday evening and at this point
>> I started
>> playing around with vibe-d and the database connector
>> libraries..
>>
>> I just have one thing to say about D and that is ...WOW!!
>>
>> By profession I'm a Java, .Mono and Python developer working
>> on Linux
>> and I've been a Java/Linux fan-boy for all my life, but I kind
>> of went
>> through almost every programming and scripting language I
>> could get my
>> hands on (Rust, GoLang, Perl... even those Javascript
>> off-springs like
>> TypeScript) but none of them ever topped Java.. until I bumped
>> onto D..
>>
>> Even though Java is still my favorite,
>> I must say that D is definitely the most enjoyable programming
>> language
>> I've ever used!!
>

> Awesome!
> Do you have any suggestions for e.g. the docs?
> Feedback is welcome :)

At this point I'm still a noob so still haven't gone through all
the docs yet.
Up until now I find the Docs site extremely helpful and well
designed, and I also like the fact that when I installed D
through the package manager, everything was neatly taken care
along with a desktop version of the docs site.

I have one general question, since I see the DWT library
mentioned as part of the main ecosystem.
Is DWT considered as the official UI framework?

With Java I use SWT for desktop and RWT (part of Eclipse RAP) for
web UI development as my main framework, and if DWT is to be the
official UI for D, then that would be great news for me.
I did not find DWT though in the DUB repository, so at this point
I've checked it out from Git.
Having a few issues when compiling for 64bit, but that I guess is
something that I'll take care of along the way.. :)