Pitching D to a gang of Gophers

landaire via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 7 11:17:25 PST 2016

On Saturday, 5 March 2016 at 11:05:09 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> - tooling, tooling, tooling (IDE plugins and build tools work
> great)

I'd like to add that one of the things that I love about Go is
that it is crazy easy to cross-compile. `GOOS=freebsd go build`
and I have a FreeBSD binary sitting in my working directory,
ready to send off.

Things I really like about D though are the UFC makes for really
pleasant method chaining and cleaner code (along with
map/filter/reduce for things), code reuse as you pointed out, and
Dub being an actual package manager that seems to have common
issues with dependency management solved. At least with my
limited experience with D I haven't run into any Dub-related
issues.

I'd like to toss in that D's lack of solid and stable `io` APIs
in phobos is kind of sad and resulted in one of my recent
projects being rewritten in Go.