[r/cpp] Why I am not happy with C++17

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 8 14:31:39 PST 2016

On 3/8/2016 7:54 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> This more or less means that we (as in D enthusiasts) have some more time to
> carve up some "market" share. Till C++20 I guess.

Back in the olden (Zortech C++) days, lots of people told me that the next
release of Microsoft C++ was going to be so awesome, it would bury us. That we
might as well go buy our caskets and reserve a burial plot right now. This
drumbeat would continue right up until the release.

The release was always underwhelming, and ZTC++ would find even more customers.

The same pundits would then say, yeah, that release wasn't that great. But the
*next* release, that one will bury Zortech!

And so it would go on for every release.

Microsoft only buried us after we stopped working on it.