Pitching D to a gang of Gophers

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 9 06:06:57 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 13:23:55 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 02:17 PM, landaire wrote:
>> I'd like to add that one of the things that I love about Go is
>> that it
>> is crazy easy to cross-compile. `GOOS=freebsd go build` and I
>> have a
>> FreeBSD binary sitting in my working directory, ready to send
>> off.
>
> What would be some good cases for that? When I want to
> cross-compile, I ssh into the target machine and build there.
> -- Andrei

You can't use all target platforms as development platforms -
e.g. Apple Watch, microcontrollers, and so on. Sometimes you
don't have any other options than cross-compilation.
It is also more flexible from a DevOps perspective. You can setup
a Linux build server and use it to produce builds for several
targets.