Pitching D to academia

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 9 11:42:58 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 16:12:08 UTC, Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 08:40:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 07:38:01 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>>> Motivated by Dmitry's "Pitching D to a gang of Gophers"
>>> thread, how about pitching it to a gang of professors and
>>> graduate students?
>>
>> The geeky graduate students are the better target.
>>
>> In teaching you usually want a focused clean language related
>> to the course or a language that is already adopted by
>> industry.
>
> This hold a lot of weight speaking as a current postgraduate. I
> find that when teaching undergraduate courses, you're very much
> restricted to a few things. First, the choice of language to
> teach at the beginning of a student's degree needs to be based
> on what they will continue to use throughout their degree and
> beyond graduating. This means that other modules with specific
> software/library requirements will need to be taken into
> account (no point in teaching D/Go/Rust when you require MATLAB
> for several modules or coursework is required to be submitted
> in C/Java in later years). So it needs to fit with other taught
> units and that means that other members of staff who do not
> know D (and honestly, often don't have the time to learn a new
> language and rewrite all of the course material) will be stuck
> teaching the students another language on top of achieving
> their unit's aims.
>
> Second, a university needs to be able to provide sufficient
> argument for teaching a language in relation to graduate
> employment; If the job market demands C++/Java/Python and only
> know D then problems arise pretty quickly and heads of
> department are not going to approve languages in place of those
> with high industrial demand. For most graduates, experience and
> skills for graduate employment is key.
>
> Postgraduates, on the other hand, often have more time to
> experiment, and due to the nature of postgraduate work
> (particularly Ph.D and beyond) their research tends to require
> novelty. D has proved very valuable for me during my research
> and the lack of library requirements for experiments to be
> written and tested means that I am not tied to using a
> particular language. I am of course not saying that we
> shouldn't try to encourage undergraduates to explore D, but
> it's very difficult to try and introduce a new language into
> the curriculum at most universities without a rather large
> volume of support and justifications for doing so. Just some
> thoughts.

Chuck Allison's experience is quite interesting.  I don't think
Utah Valley University is seen as a top tier school, but enough
of his students have received very good offers from top companies
is enough to make one think.

http://dconf.org/2014/talks/allison.html

Of course, teaching staff at most places won't have the standing
that Chuck Allison does to break with custom, but on the other
hand I suppose if you stick with custom you will at best achieve
customary results.

I do take your point about postgrads, and that's a fair
observation too.