Pitching D to academia

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 9 11:45:40 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 19:34:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 at 16:25:46 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
> wrote:
>> I may be way off-base here but would teaching assembly be a
>> good way
>> to get D into the hands of undergrads?  Learning assembly
>> requires
>> some sort of 'harness' to code your assembly in.
>
> I don't know what is common now, but I think machine language
> often has been taught either in the context of a
> OS/kernel-design course, hardware architecture (CPU/Computer
> design)  course and compiler design courses. Difficult to get D
> into an OS course as C is standard, inline asm makes no sense
> for a compiler and hardware courses are aiming one step below
> machine language so no need for higher level than assembly...
>
> It is not uncommon for courses to be agnostic, though. That is,
> the teacher accepts any language in student projects, but uses
> a well-known language in lectures and examples.

Let's add that D binaries are usually too bloated for their
disassembly to be as readable as their C equivalent (mangling
doesn't help) so even for "reverse engineering" assembly it is
less than perfect (although perfectly doable of course).