Potential GSoC project - GC improvements

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 10 03:47:51 PST 2016

On Thursday, 10 March 2016 at 11:12:47 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 March 2016 at 05:01:37 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Perhaps someone could build off of Sociomantic's concurrent GC
>> (https://www.sociomantic.com/blog/2013/06/porting-cdgc-to-d2/), which I assume has been ported to D2, porting it to Windows or whatever else remains to be done and then adding to it.
>
> Do you think Windows version of this cdgc is feasible at all?
> It relies on fork, something that gets emulated on Windows but
> too slowly, as I understand.

I don't know enough about GCs and Windows to say.  I'm assuming
it can be done with some effort, but I don't know how much.

Even if it's too much work, it'd be worth it just for POSIX
systems, which make up almost 70% of all general-purpose
computers running apps these days. :)

If it's good enough, it could eventually become the default on
there, while leaving the legacy GC for Windows.