Potential GSoC project - GC improvements

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 13 17:38:24 PDT 2016

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:34:44 -0700, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Is this a debate about precise vs. non-precise GC or are we just
> bikeshedding about terminology and technical details?

You made a large number of assertions about garbage collection and they
were almost all wrong.

It's not about minutiae -- D can't reasonably have a precise collector,
and you were saying that nothing else useful can happen before you make
the GC precise. A non-precise collector can and often should be
concurrent, and you were saying this was useless.

These are big things. They affect prioritization of major projects.
Getting them wrong could mislead a GSoC student to the point of not
accomplishing much when they could have plucked lower-hanging fruit
successfully.