the most D-ish GUI library

Gerald via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 13 20:34:20 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 13 March 2016 at 22:26:48 UTC, Saša Janiška wrote:
> a) dlangui (https://github.com/buggins/dlangui

I've never tried it, however having been down this road before
(i.e. non-native widgets) with Java Swing I have no great desire
to try something in a similar vein, so that ruled it out for me.

> b) GtkD (https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD and

I'm using this now to build native Linux applications and for
that it's a great choice. GTK is very mature and the GtkD wrapper
has been around a long time. GtkD does a good job of wrapping the
API in a way that just works and managing the widgets is
integrated into the GC. The maintainer of GtkD is very responsive
and does a great job keeping it up to date.

Personally, I'm rather surprised there are not more Linux GUI GTK
apps out there written in D considering how well it works.

I'll temper my enthusiasm though by saying I've never used it for
cross-platform purposes, I'm only interested in writing native
Linux apps at this point in time. For that need GtkD is an
excellent candidate IMHO. However, it should be easy to google a
bit and get some opinions with regards to GTK on other platforms.

> c) tkd (https://github.com/nomad-software/tkd)

Never used it and didn't look at it so no comment.