D could catch this wave: web assembly

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 00:46:28 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 27 June 2015 at 15:01:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 26 June 2015 at 02:29:40 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> By this time we'd have a PR and we could play with it to
>> decide using first hand experience.
>
> For which browser? It isn't implemented, is it?

You got your wish, they just exposed webasm through v8 a couple
days ago:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=575167#c13

It should show up in the latest Chrome Canary builds soon, where
it can be turned on through chrome://flags.  I'm unsure how you'd
actually pass webasm to v8 though, probably have to dig through
the tests to figure that out.

Now that it's in a browser and llvm has a WebAssembly target, as
mentioned in yawniek's link above, porting D to use webasm
through ldc might make a good GSoC project, with the caveat that
all the webasm tools are under development.

For any students interested, here's a good WebAssembly overview I
just saw:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/webassembly-an-initial-view