the most D-ish GUI library

Luis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 09:13:44 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 13 March 2016 at 22:26:48 UTC, Saša Janiška wrote:

> I've selected three different libraries:
>
> a) dlangui (https://github.com/buggins/dlangui
>
> b) GtkD (https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD and
>
> c) tkd (https://github.com/nomad-software/tkd)
>
> Debian Linux (Sid, x86_64) is my native development platform, I
> use Emacs editor, but would like to provide my app for both Mac
> & Windows OS-es, so wonder if some more experienced D users can
> recommend which of the above mentioned libraries are the most
> D-ish in sense to provide things like more D-idiomatic API,
> properly taking care about memory management (in general, I'd
> like to use SafeD), look on different platforms, actively
> maintained, maturity, community around it etc.?

If I remember correctly tkd just works on Windows installing
tk/tcl. GtkD compiling on windows is a bit more tricky, as
actually dub gives linking errors or the executable crashes if
you try using it directly. However on Linux works very fine. I
updated the install guide on his wiki ->
https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD/wiki/Installing-on-Windows

A short resume would be :

1. Install Gtk binaries
2. Download GtkD and compile it for 32 or 64 bits
3. "Install" it, editing your sc.ini on c:\D\
4. Tweak your dub.json/sdl to avoid download&compile GtkD on
Windows. Only link against GtkD (example :
https://github.com/Zardoz89/DEDCPU-16/blob/develop/dub.sdl#L6 )

About how well works GtkD, I would say :

- Gtk becomes a lot more easier with a OO language.
- GtkD webpage documentation is a bit of .... There is someone
with a script to generate a ddox documentation, that I should try.