Potential GSoC project - GC improvements

Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 14 18:34:07 PDT 2016

I haven't had power for a couple of days, but it looks like the
discussion has gone along pretty ok. After reading everything, I
think I'm inclined to agree with Adam and the main focus of my
proposal will be a precise GC (or as precise as we can get). I'll
definitely need some guidance, but I'll be learning everything I
can about GC's and precision until the start of the project.

On Monday, 14 March 2016 at 05:28:13 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Maybe ... why don't instead of trying to compete with everybody
> else, we do our own thing, and do it very well. As long as
> we're just another "me too" operation people will treat us like
> we are. Let's focus on being the best D language out there. And
> D needs a GC, so let's build the best damn garbage collector
> the natively-compiled world has every seen.

That is what I hope to work towards. Hopefully next year I can
work on making a generational GC, or something else depending on
how much time I could dedicate between when this GSoC is finished
and the next begins.

Adam, can you reach out to Craig and let him know you're willing
to mentor this project if it get's accepted? I talked with him a
few days ago via email and he said that someone would need to
take it on but he wasn't sure who.