D vs Rust

Saša Janiška via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 15 00:49:29 PDT 2016

bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> writes:

Hello bearophile,

and thank you very much for your insightful reply!

> But for an average multi-platform desktop application Ada is not a
> good idea. The main problem is not the language itself (that is very
> verbose, but that's not a show-stopper), but the tooling (very scarce,
> and very pricey, very few compilers, very few IDEs, etc), the
> community (small), and the libraries (not many). A sufficiently rich
> and sufficiently determined group of programmers could probably write
> a regular desktop application in Ada, but you're walking uphill for
> not enough reason. Sometimes worse is better because it's actually
> overall better.

Very useful info and I've arrived to the same conclusion.

> There is a recent thread about Ada on Reddit, but unfortunately the
> best comment in that page has being deleted... :-)

I was reading it several times and possibly noticed it, but now it does
not matter since I consider myself as D user. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully
engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But