Walter, I need a __trait please.

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 15 16:04:59 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 15 March 2016 at 19:59:01 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 March 2016 at 11:47:20 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
>> Instead I think that if we improve D's existing introspection
>> capabilities and expose the compiler as a library at
>> compile-time, we will have a much powerful system than any
>> potential macro system, for a fraction of the complexity.
>>
>> These videos are what changed my mind:
>> 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZwYYW9koI
>> 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59lKAlb6cRg
>> (Jonathan Blow's programming language for games)
>
> It is like one of these simili good idea that everybody tries
> and everybody regrets it. You DON'T want to expose your
> compiler implementation to the language.
>
> Jonathan Blow is certainly a talented person, but he has a very
> grave NIH syndrome and various blind spot in language design.

So, to give a concrete example, because my critic sounds free and
mean.

https://youtu.be/59lKAlb6cRg?t=28m24s

He quote C++ and D while presenting the defers feature. Turns out
this feature is the same thing as scope(exit) and is planned to
be added to C++ at some point.

The more general subject of the video is basically AOP. For the
most part, is is a clumsy implementation of something like
lombok: https://projectlombok.org/

In addition it exposes the compiler, which will create
maintenance problems in the future.