Why is this not a warning?

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 16 14:45:04 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 16 March 2016 at 18:39:36 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
> Sadly, to solve that without imposing much pain on the users,
> you need a more decent VRP than we currently have...

Lionello Lunesu did a lot of work both on improving VRP, and on
bug 259:
     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1913
He pretty much gave up after being ignored for well over a year.

I started porting his work to DDMD back in October.:
     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/5229
I also have an actual fix for issue #259 on my hard drive; I
haven't submitted it yet because I need PR 5229 accepted first,
and also because there is one other big VRP related improvement
that is needed, too.

My work is stalled now, just like Lionello's, because:

1) DMD 14835 blocks any meaningful VRP improvements, and
2) No one will do a serious review of my work, either - even
though PR 5229 is fairly small and straightforward.

Bug 259 could be fixed pretty quickly if it were actually a
priority for the core compiler dev team. As it is, it may never
get fixed...