Females in the community.

John Carter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 17 13:03:08 PDT 2016

It is very clear from the 'net that some communities welcome
woman, and some actively hate them, some ignore them.

I personally would feel reluctant to get involved in anything
where there was a high probability of vitriolic rejection. (Yes,
sadly, some 'net communities have, unfortunately, gone to very
extreme lengths in their rejection.)

Part me says ignore them, gender has nothing to do with
programming.

Part of me observes we are human first, programmers second, and
human groups with a healthy gender mix are simpler more pleasant
and functional places.

Certainly Python has done well to actively welcome them, and I
would suggest we do the same.

So a simple statement of welcome and some level of outreach would
go a long way.

https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/