Females in the community.

WhatMeWorry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 17 15:02:47 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 17 March 2016 at 20:03:08 UTC, John Carter wrote:
> It is very clear from the 'net that some communities welcome
> woman, and some actively hate them, some ignore them.
>
> I personally would feel reluctant to get involved in anything
> where there was a high probability of vitriolic rejection.
> (Yes, sadly, some 'net communities have, unfortunately, gone to
> very extreme lengths in their rejection.)

I don't get this at all?  I've been coming to this site for years
and I don't recall any "vitriolic rejections" of either men or
women. I can't think of a more egalitarian community than what
I've experienced here.  I find this to be one of the most cordial
and helpful sites I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

> Part me says ignore them, gender has nothing to do with
> programming.

Who here has ever argued otherwise?

> Part of me observes we are human first, programmers second, and
> human groups with a healthy gender mix are simpler more
> pleasant and functional places.

Again, I doubt if anybody here disagrees with this statement.

> Certainly Python has done well to actively welcome them, and I
> would suggest we do the same.

How is D not welcoming "them".  We welcome anybody who is
interested in D.

> So a simple statement of welcome and some level of outreach
> would go a long way.
>
> https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/

Google, Intel, HP, Bloomberg, etc are sponsoring this outreach. D
does not have any such luxury.

Listen, I would love that more women were interested in
programming languages. I've seen many good women programmers (my
wife was one) but it is usually for a paid job.  I doubt you'll
find many women who program out of the sheer pleasure of it, or
who will spend their free time holed up in front of a workstation
figuring out the inner working of mixins or traits.

But don't feel too bad. Females vastly outnumber men in the
veterinary and biology fields. I don't see their web sites going
out of their way to "welcome" me.