Stack Overflow: Developer Survey Results - 2016

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 18 13:17:27 PDT 2016

On Friday, 18 March 2016 at 14:28:03 UTC, Darkfeign wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 March 2016 at 18:33:08 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 March 2016 at 14:16:49 UTC, Darkfeign wrote:
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016
>>
>> The bottom line is that the information that they have seems
>> to be biased enough that I don't see much point in paying
>> attention to it.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Certainly valid. From the reddit post of the survey people
> mentioned that it would be quite common to see languages like
> JavaScript at the top of Stack Overflow surveys and their user
> data, because JavaScript as a language changes far often than
> most, along with an incredible turnover in new libraries
> emerging before fizzling out just a year or so later. While
> languages like C/C++ and Java only see major updates over a
> period of years.

Which just underscores my point. The SO survey is _not_ providing
information that actively reflects programmers as a whole. It's
just reflecting a certain subset of programmers who ask or answer
question on SO. And that's potentially valuable data about what's
going on with SO, but it means that the information isn't worth
much when it comes to determining anything about programmers in
general. The fact that it's so biased makes it quite clear that
the information is not generally applicable, much as it might be
interesting with regards to SO.

- Jonathan M Davis