Females in the community.

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 19 11:12:00 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 17 March 2016 at 20:03:08 UTC, John Carter wrote:
> It is very clear from the 'net that some communities welcome
> woman, and some actively hate them, some ignore them.
Please link me to a single community (programming, os, library
development) that hates women.

Ignoring women/men and other superficial divides is equal
treatment. I'm a dog with brain and paw enchantments - nobody
even has to know.

Welcoming everyone is the way to go. Focusing on specific groups
is bias. Create a special program for women and now you have an
unnecesary divide in your community.  Don't imply to women that
they couldn't deal with other programmers outside of your little
safe-space - that's degrading and not true. Focus on the
commonalities - like hating C++ templates :).

> Part of me observes we are human first, programmers second, and
> human groups with a healthy gender mix are simpler more
> pleasant and functional places.

[Citation needed] What's the right mixture of people? Are biology
departments and engineering departments less functional and
pleasant than departments with more equal distribution? Do you
really notice the gender behind nicknames and does it really
affect your pleasure from participating in this newsgroup? Sorry
to break your bubble but women are every bit as capable of being
unpleasant as men are. Ah, and they sometimes fart too.