Mention of D in recent Wired article about Dropbox leaving AWS

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 19 12:14:58 PDT 2016

On 03/19/2016 09:36 AM, Joakim wrote:
> "Crowling, Turner, and others originally built Magic Pocket using a new
> programming language from Google called Go. Here too, Dropbox is riding
> a much larger trend, languages designed specifically for the new world
> of massively distributed online systems. Apple has one called Swift,
> Mozilla makes one called Rust, and there’s an independent one called D.
> All these languages let coders build software quickly that runs
> quickly—even executed across hundreds or thousands of machines."
>
> http://www.wired.com/2016/03/epic-story-dropboxs-exodus-amazon-cloud-empire/
>

> Dropbox started out in Go and rewrote in Rust.

This is actually very good news. It means there are at least some big
companies that do measure technical impact of used programming languages
instead of going with the trend :) And that they are not scared to
change the decision if it proves inapplicable.

Bad news the new choice is Rust and not D :) Though I can totally see
why based on mentioned requirements.