Jai - interesting programming language

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 19 18:18:43 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 19 March 2016 at 01:22:19 UTC, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> https://github.com/BSVino/JaiPrimer/blob/master/JaiPrimer.md
>
> Looks like it has some features that D has too, for instance
> CTFE and default value initialization that can be disabled.
>
> Not that it's a superior language, but I like its
> fresh/innovative approach.

The problem is that the philosophical underpinnings of the
language are extremely peculiar:

"Language features like garbage collection and templated data
streams and dynamic string classes may help the programmer write
code faster, but they don't help the programmer write faster
code."

"Blow argues that the increase in productivity and reduction of
friction when memory-safe mechanisms are absent more than make up
for the time lost in tracking down errors, especially when good
programmers tend to produce relatively few errors"

Later:

"Abstractions like RAII, constructors and destructors,
polymorphism, and exceptions were invented with the intention of
solving problems that game programmers don’t have, and with the
result of interfering with the solutions to problems that game
programmers do have. Jai jettisons these abstractions so that
programmers can think more about their actual problems - the data
and their algorithms."