GSOC 16 - Flatbuffer support or Protocol Buffer Support for D Language.

Dragos Carp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 19 19:09:02 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 19 March 2016 at 06:18:06 UTC, Rajat Kumar wrote:
> Hello.
> I am Rajat Kumar, a junior year university student from India.
> I have working experiences in languages like C,C++ and Python.
> I am really really interested in working in D language. I want
> to work in the project - Flatbuffer Suport or Protocol Buffer
> Support.
> It is now the time to write the proposal. I need some
> suggestion for the same. What are the key points, do I need to
> mention in the proposal?
> thank you.

The main goal of the project is to bring FlatBuffers D support
into the upstream repository.

In contrast with Protocol Buffers version 2, both FlatBuffers and
Protocol Buffers version 3 have support for a couple of
programming languages and the adoption of new languages is
continuing. It will be great if at the end of GSOC2016, D will be
one of those languages.

I think that a good application should contain at least:

   - FlatBuffers or Protocol Buffers. Focus just on one of them,
although Protocol Buffers will be a little too small of a project
(use it to get warm).
   - identify the software components, eventually some design
ideas.
   - testing of the implementation.
   - a rough time plan.
   - a couple of words about yourself, relevant experience,
eventually reference your relevant work.

Start with a rough proposal and we can discuss on that.

Dragos