Mention of D in recent Wired article about Dropbox leaving AWS

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 20 05:48:36 PDT 2016

On 03/20/2016 02:10 AM, blake7 wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2016 at 19:14:58 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> This is actually very good news. It means there are at least some big
>> companies that do measure technical impact of used programming
>> languages instead of going with the trend :) And that they are not
>> scared to change the decision if it proves inapplicable.
>>
>> Bad news the new choice is Rust and not D :) Though I can totally see
>> why based on mentioned requirements.
>
> From here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11283758
>
> 'Actually, full disclosure, we really just rewrote a couple of
> components in Rust. Most of Magic Pocket (the distributed storage
> system) is still written in golang.'

Yep, found detailed answer later there: ".. two components currently
implemented in Rust are the code that runs on the storage boxes (we call
this the OSD - Object Storage Device) and the "volume manager" processes
which are the daemons that handle erasure coding for us and bulk data
transfers.".

Makes sense to me.