How can I report what I think a compiler's frontend bug

Vincent R via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 20 10:57:12 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 20 March 2016 at 16:16:18 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:28:19 +0000
> schrieb Vincent R <lol at dlang.org>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to start a new project (a bonjour/zeroconf wrapper
>> and a gui browser using it).
>> For the gui part I would like to use my existing skills using
>> wxWidgets wrapper (wxD).
>> So I have started to report a problem a few months ago:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/rtarlodeojnmedgsnscb@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> But so far(DMD32 D Compiler v2.070.2) it's still not fixed.
>> Do you think it will be fixed one day ?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Yes, I think it will be fixed one day, since - as you know
> by reading the very thread you linked - it is already reported
> and the GDC developers chimed in and considered it critical.
> There are also 118 open critical/blocker bugs that were
> reported before yours. Most of them by people here on the
> forums and you would need to explain to us why your bug
> deserves higher attention than the others (154 in total).
>
> Dlang is free open-source software and there is only a hand
> full of people who are fixing bugs in the compiler just for the
> sake of improving it. Most people contribute occasionally when
> they are interested in a solution to a particular problem.
>
> If you really need this fixed now ... you know the drill. I
> suggest you analyze the problem and start a discussion about
> it. Honestly asking why the compiler emits duplicate symbols in
> a reduced test case might have yielded you some good responses
> from the people who wrote the code.

Ok first maybe it's already reported to GDC but to me it's not
only a gdc bug since it also happens with dmd. So I don't know
how bugs are fixed in the differents compilers but I suppose they
share the same frontend (maybe I am mistaken) and in this case I
prefer not to wait for gdc developers to fix it but to see if for
instance some dmd developers have some time to fix it.
I just want to use the language and don't have time to dig inside
its inner workings, so I think D is not for me. This project was
the opportunity to learn the language by fixing an unmaintained
library (wxD) but it's not as easy as I thought.

Cheers