rust reaction to walter's talk on interfacing to C++

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 22 03:09:12 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 08:52:23 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>     This isn't a question of all-or-nothing. Clearly,
> interfacing with any possible C++ code is just complete lunacy.

You need to define what you mean by interfacing:

1. Interfacing with existing C++ libraries.
2. Interfacing with C++ code written with D in mind.
3. Interfacing with legacy C++ applications(pre C++11)

Point 3 will become irrelevant over time, so it is not worth the
trouble. Point 2 is achievable even from Python (Boost Python).

Point 1 is what is needed for C++ interfacing to be a selling
point and then you do need:

1. Redefine or extend D semantics to match C++.
2. Link in clang.

> D has thus far demonstrated that there's a decently-sized
> proportion of C++ code that can be bound to without needing to
> integrate a full C++ compiler.

I don't think this has been demonstrated. What projects are you
talking about?