Some crazy ideas from a high level perspective

Edwin van Leeuwen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 22 09:01:43 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 15:50:15 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 15:33:04 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 at 15:19:10 UTC, rikki cattermole
>> wrote:
>>> Idea 1:
>>>
>>> Sigh I do wish the author of gl3n had given permission for
>>> relicense for Phobos. Would do what you want.
>>>
>>> Idea 3:
>>>
>>> My goal is get windowing/image library into Phobos. Now that
>>> is not a UI toolkit but you can atleast get a window up and
>>> show an image like a graph.
>>> Kinda everything you want.
>>
>> Any tips on how easy it will be to plot a cairo surface to a
>> window ?
>
> Very easy.
>
> - wrap a context in a Canvas with the methods for drawing.
> - BLIT the cairo surface.

Thanks!

> It also works with simple bitmaps, so image proceduraly
> rendered.
> Actually I've started to work on this at the end of 2015.
>
> (https://github.com/BBasile/kheops/blob/master/src/kheops/bitmap.d#L396)

That looks interesting. Would you say kheops is stable enough to
be relied upon  by other projects? Any plans to make it into a
dub package?

Since kheops is vector based it would be even nicer to be able to
convert a cairo svg/pdf surface to kheops.

> While it was planned to make a native D UI, using it to plot 2D
> data would require very few work. There's also a OO wrapper
> called cairoD or something like that which is for sure very
> easy to use to render bitmap proceduraly.

cairoD is indeed what ggplotd uses to produce the plot. And
saving svg/png/pdf to disk is indeed very easy with cairo.