Some crazy ideas from a high level perspective

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 22 19:35:18 PDT 2016

On 23/03/16 7:18 AM, _d0s_ wrote:
> thanks for all the opinions!
>
>> Perhaps this is what you're looking for?
>> https://dlang.org/phobos/std_experimental_ndslice.html
>
> that would be a good starting point for a matrix library
>
>> You would be interested in
>> https://github.com/DlangScience
>
>> They have cblas for matrix multiplication and scid.linalg has an
>> interface to LAPACK (the > most common way to do LU/QR/etc). I don't
>> have experience with these, but I think they were created before
>> std.experimental.ndslice, so I'm not sure how well they inter-operate.
>> I > believe there is work being done on this, but I'm sure John Colvin
>> et al would appreciate > any help you would be able to provide.
>
> thx, havent found that before :)
> i haven't used lapack/blas before, i will have a look at it. i'm using
> mostly Eigen for my projects.
>
>> If all you need are plotting tools, these would be useful
>> https://code.dlang.org/packages/ggplotd
>> https://code.dlang.org/packages/plotd
> that would be somewhat close already to matlab like plotting
>
>> Sigh I do wish the author of gl3n had given permission for relicense
>> for Phobos. Would do what you want.
>
> i have used gl3n before, it's not really what i'm looking for. gl3n
> afaik only provides up to 4x4 dense matrices, with the focus on being a
> GLM (http://glm.g-truc.net/0.9.7/index.html) replacement for the use
> with Opengl. correct me if i'm wrong.

Its old code, it would need to be updated anyway. But yes more GLM then
a generic solution.

> Cairo and Kheops look interesting. I have used Openvg before. Some time
> ago i've created a little Openvg D wrapper for shiva vg (
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/dopenvg ) . From a diagram or image
> viewer i'd also expect some level of interactivity. That's why i thought
> a web app with CEF would be suitable
>
> do you have experience with creating web apps for desktop, or reasons
> why i'd definitively want to use a native framework for such a project?
> .. or for UI in general

I don't have experience past a little with WebOS. But my understanding
is simple. Companies like Facebook and Apple have all tried it on mobile
and all failed. It just comes down to most programs with UI's should be
sitting around 0% cpu most of the time. They just don't need the
resources. Things like web based UI's will always go well above that.

---