Females in the community.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 23 01:27:59 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 04:42:24 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> Additionally, I've met Andrei in person on multiple occasions.
>
> I find this extremely hard to believe.

Not that this is a terribly important issue, but both Andrei,
Deadalnix, Dicebot and many others have in the past expressed
themselves using harsh wordings in these forums, so not quite
sure why you would find it extremely hard to believe that someone
has objected to something Andrei has said or the way he said it?
I object to lots of things he has said and the ways he has said
it!

To the people who don't think there are gender differences: take
a look at all-female groups and compare them to all-male groups.
The dynamics are different. Men are in general competitive. Women
are just as competitive as men, but not with people the consider
to be in their in-group/peers. In such settings the average woman
is more likely to play down her own abilities "Oh, no, I am no
better than you, I also have trouble with X,Y,Z" to find balance
and common ground. So claiming that having a male dominated group
doesn't affect social dynamics is not-very-scientific. Gender
differences in social settings are real.

Are people treated differently based on their presentation and
identity? Yes. Are people more likely to complain about quality
when they look at something with greater scrutiny? Yes, because
if they invest time into evaluating then finding a flaw is
considered being productive (spending time on something and not
finding flaws makes the effort wasted). Will people look at code
with more scrutiny if the submitter stands out in some way, most
likely. Do some men have trouble with having a young woman as
their boss, initially, yes. Is that related to men having
dominance related issues versus women, most likely. Is there a
biological foundation for this? Most likely.

Can you treat a woman exactly the same way you treat a man
without being perceived as sexist? Probably not. If the average
woman expects and wants to find common ground, but many men are
inclined to assert their dominance (towards both men and women),
then you have a fundamental clash of expectations.

Is this all culture? Obviously not, the root for
dominance/emotions are very biological in their foundation. Can
we do something about it? Only by paying attention to our own
flaws.

Is it reasonable to expect a male dominated culture to switch
into an interaction mode that the average woman would prefer?
Probably not. And vice versa.

Does the dynamics of male dominated groups change when you
increase the number of women in the group? Yes.

The only way a person can be non-discriminating is by realizing
that we in our nature are stereotyping and discriminating. It is
integral to human nature og social dynamics.

I never trust people who claim that they never discriminate,
because I have yet to meet a person that doesn't.

So the OP was basically right, and you are all wrong and in
denial!!! ;-)