Is C++ trying to be like D?

_d0s_ via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 23 14:20:23 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 19 March 2016 at 13:46:14 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2016 at 13:23:55 UTC, Bauss wrote:
>> Looking at C++14 and the proposed features for C++17 -
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B17
>>
>> It looks a lot like C++ is trying to become similar to D.
>>
>> I believe that shows D's design pattern has been superior to
>> C++'s from the start and there's no way C++ will ever be able
>> to implement the same features of D in the same smooth and
>> "user-friendly" behavior.
>>
>> What's your opinion?
>
> A much more common take on it is "why use D at all now that C++
> is getting similar features", ignoring convenience.
>
> (I don't subscribe to it.)

Just that awesome new features are planned, doesn't mean they get
implemented. On of mine, and i think also of many other cpp
programmsters, highly anticipated features are C++ Modules. We
are waiting years already to get to a usable solution ... yet
nothing has integrated into the cpp standard :3

D on the other hand has all those awesome features, and D has
them now. Sometimes it's a little rough on the edges, but in
general it's really great *.* I hope D will start to grow faster.
And seeing it currently at Tiobe index rank 20 makes me hope that
it will be way more widespread in future.

<3 D ftw xD