Females in the community.

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 24 02:54:52 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 09:16:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> We're doing just fine with NNTP and Vladimir's forum software.

I agree. There is no need to change anything.

However, there is room for improvement, but it requires to change
the UI, which is not possible with Newsreaders.

For example, "likes" so you don't have to make one line replies.
See for example the Rust forum (you need be logged in). This can
be extended to more semantic flags like "insightful", "offtopic",
and more. See for example Slashdot.

(Since I mentioned the Rust forum and logging in. Log in via
OAuth (aka Github etc) should be possible for the web interface.)

What I have not seen in any forum software is the ability to
connect different topics. A threaded forum is a tree. I would
like a DAG. The closest thing I used is the Github issue tracker.
If you mention another issue, it automatically adds a backlink to
here in there.

Disclaimer: I like the current forum. Keep it! My ideas are very
experimental and they are probably not worth killing the NNTP
backend.