Females in the community.

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 24 03:36:42 PDT 2016

On 3/24/2016 2:39 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> "Sticky" threads on typical web forums are used to post things such as FAQs or
> things people should read before posting. Essentially, in pretty much all cases,
> this feature is used as a poor way to change the website in general in order to
> bring some things to users' attention.
>
> If the latter feature becomes required, since we have full control over the
> forum website's contents as a whole, we can look at how we can implement that
> feature properly (e.g. by adding a notice at the top of the thread list, or to
> the "create new thread" form, etc.)
>
> Still, I think this feature is only really necessary for websites where "the
> forum is the website". We could just as well post important information to
> dlang.org.

Such things belong on the wiki, not in the forum. I agree we don't need sticky
threads, in fact, they'd be a nuisance as they raise pointless bikeshed
controversies over whether something should be in the wiki or the stiki.

> I am continuously collecting (constructive) feedback about the forum. Last year
> I made an overhaul and implemented nearly all feature requests. If you have
> specific requests for improvement, please create a GitHub issue:
>
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues

Just to reiterate, you have done an awesome job with this and DFeed is a great
resource and showcase for D.

> All in all, I'm rather certain that as soon as an actual serious proposal to
> replace forum.dlang.org with e.g. Discourse appears, it will face just as much,
> if not more, vocal disagreement. You can always create a poll or something if
> you wish - out of curiosity, since as mentioned above, you'll have a hard time
> convincing the people who are actually working on D to switch.

There's little to no chance of convincing me. Many of the things people complain
about with NNTP are features I prefer :-)