Mindset of the D team vs the Rust team

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 24 09:50:05 PDT 2016

On 24/03/2016 09:16, Walter Bright wrote:

> We're doing just fine with NNTP and Vladimir's forum software.

And this is one of the reasons why I've essentially moved from D to
Rust. Yes, the forum software. Yes, this is not related to the language,
nor with the toolchain, nor with actually developing code in either
language. So it has a very, very small impact....

On the surface at least.

It is, *however*, illustrative of a larger issue I have with the mindset
and attitude of the core D team: that there are several aspects there
that I consider antiquated, or narrow-minded. Please don't take this as
a personal offense Walter, it's not meant as such. But:

Using old communication software like NNTP is one example of that.
Compare with Rust's Discourse.

Not understanding the importance of package managers is another (DUB
still not part of official distro?) Compare with Rust's Cargo.

Not understanding the importance of IDE tooling is another. Compare with
Rust planned support for IDE tooling from the Mozilla team itself.
(https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/1317-ide.md)

Even the fact that we are using custom web forum software (Vladimir's
forum) draws a strong parallel with the DigitalMars vs. LLVM backend
story. I mean, Vladimir's forum is an impressive piece of work, and it's
a really good demo of D's capabilities. That said, it's the work of 1-2
people, it cannot stand against the capabilities and polish of something
like Discourse which is developed by a much bigger team, and used by
many different organizations.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros