Females in the community.

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 24 10:07:59 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 16:46:53 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> It is, *however*, illustrative of a larger issue I have with
> the mindset and attitude of the core D team: that there are
> several aspects there that I consider antiquated, or
> narrow-minded. Please don't take this as a personal offense
> Walter, it's not meant as such. But:

Sorry, but this is complete FUD.

> Not understanding the importance of package managers is another
> (DUB still not part of official distro?) Compare with Rust's
> Cargo.

Dub is not part of the distro because the Dub maintainers don't
consider it ready. Everyone wants it packaged. We are waiting for
it to stabilize. If you want to help, start with
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues.

> Not understanding the importance of IDE tooling is another.
> Compare with Rust planned support for IDE tooling from the
> Mozilla team itself.
> (https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/1317-ide.md)

No, this is completely understood. We simply do not have the
resources for that. I think we've done everything reasonable to
promote Visual D, for example - it's linked from the website,
it's in the GitHub organization, it's in the installer, what more
do you want? Unlike Mozilla, we can't hire people to work on
things full-time.

> Even the fact that we are using custom web forum software
> (Vladimir's forum) draws a strong parallel with the DigitalMars
> vs. LLVM backend story.

No.

> I mean, Vladimir's forum is an impressive piece of work, and
> it's a really good demo of D's capabilities. That said, it's
> the work of 1-2 people, it cannot stand against the
> capabilities and polish of something like Discourse which is
> developed by a much bigger team, and used by many different
> organizations.

I take offense to that.

In the same way that forum.dlang.org can never have some of
Discourse's features by its nature, Discourse can never have some
of forum.dlang.org features. The Discourse's team's priorities
are different (for example, they put much less emphasis on
responsiveness, resource usage, interoperability, or multiple
forms of presentation).

Perhaps you could list some particular features you're missing.