Improve reability of GC on win64

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 24 23:06:07 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 24 March 2016 at 18:58:56 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Interestingly enough, there is a GSoC candidate this year that
> is proposing a project that would make the D GC precise.

There was already a GSOC project to make the GC precise by
Antti-Ville Tuuainen back in 2012. Rainer expanded upon it[1] and
gave a talk about it at DConf 2013[2].

I'm not sure why it never went anywhere.

In any case, I don't think a precise GC is a good GSOC project
since most of the work has already been done. I feel like a GC
focused GSOC project should be more ambitious than merely tying
up the loose ends of the existing precise GC work.

1. https://github.com/rainers/druntime/tree/gcx_precise
2. http://dconf.org/2013/talks/schuetze.pdf