Females in the community.

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 03:35:20 PDT 2016

On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 10:09:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Well, online one can engineer societies, if one are willing to
> spend the investments, but men are not the problem. Women are
> just as dysfunctional as men are, and both men and women
> experience gender-related discrimination in different fields
> (custody cases come to mind).

Totally agreed.

> I'll even say that the in-your-face bluntness-agression is
> preferably to silent aggression/freezing out, because bluntness
> can be addressed and corrected more easily. Hopefully we don't
> have a big freezing out problem (but how can you tell?). We do
> have the occasional bluntness problem.

Shit happens, ability to deal with it is important so IMO it's
not a problem.

> But let me ask you this question instead: would you expect the
> average man to feel inclined to join an all-female online
> community? I wouldn't. Just turn the gender around and ask the
> same question again: would you expect the average woman to feel
> inclined to join an all-male online community?
>
> Clearly, you need to think about how you grow your online
> community if you want to create openings either way.

Well, I don't have to speculate about that because I've seen
communities specifically declared as male/female in their name
and every one of them included people of both genders.

I personally wouldn't join a community which was solely defined
as a space for the other sex - but that's because I wouldn't find
things of interest to me. But that's not the case for programming
forums. We are here because we use the programming language,
gender is just incidental.