Edit history of a post

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 09:56:22 PDT 2016

> On 03/24/2016 03:59 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Having public display of the edit history defeats the purpose of being
>> able to edit it.

Discourse also supports properly deleting posts. Although it usually
requires admin approval, and is usually reserved for spam, disturbing
content, duplicated posts, stuff like that. It's not meant for
retracting comments the poster simply later regrets.

> That's not right. You can't change history, otherwise the threading of
> discussion will be impossible to follow. Look at how Facebook does it.
> -- Andrei

Agreed. Furthermore on an ethical note I don't think people should
delete comments they later regret. If one does a stupid or rude post,
they should pay the price for being stupid or rude. If they regret it,
and want to apologize for it, or otherwise retract some comments, that's
fine: apologize or retract your comments *in a follow-up post*. But
don't delete the original post, not only it can be confusing for people
following that, I think it's cowardly too.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros