Better Phobos contribution guide

Xinok via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 10:56:05 PDT 2016

On Friday, 25 March 2016 at 07:14:52 UTC, Seb wrote:
> - dont add @nogc, @pure, @safe attributes yourself - let the
> compiler infer it!

I'd argue this is only applicable to some functions, not all. In
particular, for non-templated functions,

> - avoid to use `auto` as return type

I understand the intent: "auto" is bad for documentation.
However, auto is used a lot for type inference. So I would
rephrase this to be clear about that, or simply add a couple
words, "... wherever possible".

> - check: did you add enough tests?

I would extend this to emphasize "complete code coverage" in unit
tests.

> As a last word, a couple of this things could be enforced -
> especially the style guide. Are there already plans to check
> for this automatically?

I believe the autotester already checks whitespace (are you using
spaces or tabs?) though I could be wrong about this.

Overall, I think these would be good additions to the
contribution guide.