Females in the community.

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 12:44:59 PDT 2016

On 3/25/2016 10:05 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> No, there is another shortcoming of NNTP that is innate: it doesn't require an
> account / authentication, anyone can post without registering, emails accounts
> can be spoofed, etc.

It's actually pretty easy to add a field with a crypto hash in it, and have the
NNTP server reject postings without the hash, and then supply the hash only with
validated account creation.

There's a scheme out there that does something like this for PGP key signing.

> You might argue that this is not a shortcoming, and ok, that's subjective. It is
> a shortcoming for me.

I agree that it is subjective. As far as the D forums go, I think it's a feature
that people can post without setting up an account. In today's panopticon, it's
nice to have a few islands here and there where people can express an honest
opinion without being tracked, cataloged, data-mined, etc.

Sure, we get a few drive-by rogue and spam postings, but it's small enough to be
manageable.

(I have HUNDREDS of accounts here and there. It's just tiresome to set up a new
one every time I visit a new site.)