On forum tree threading

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 25 17:46:44 PDT 2016

On 24/03/2016 19:52, Walter Bright wrote:
> DFeed handles that rather well. See this thread as a fine example:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/nd1gaq$1o1g$1@digitalmars.com
>
> You may argue that there are better ways to present this, but it's
> pretty clear that NNTP is not holding this back.

I disagree. Quoting myself, it doesn't have the:
" Ability to spawn a new topic from an existing one. This is not
something that is supported currently. Merely renaming the title doesn't
suffice: the sub-topic still remains part of the parent thread/topic. So
there is noise around, you can't simply follow the sub-topic, whilst
ignoring the rest of the thread, because they are not separate. "

This means people can miss an interesting discussion - like this
subtopic, or the "D vs Rust mindset" discussion - merely by dismissing
the parent thread - "Females in the community." in this case, which was
an incredibly silly discussion to start with).

Even if DFeed were to handle it well, it's just one client. Others would
likely not handled it the same way. One of the supposed advantages of
NNTP (multiple clients) can also be a shortcoming, because there is no
consistent UI. And consistency is important for behaviors or aspects
that should be preserved for any user, and not left for individual
preference (like spawning a new topic separately).

For example, someone on Thunderbird might open this thread, "Females in
the community.", see it's garbage talk, and press "T" which marks the
would likely make the user not notice any sub-threads.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros