Mindset of the D team vs the Rust team

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 28 20:00:15 PDT 2016

On 03/24/2016 12:50 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 24/03/2016 09:16, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> We're doing just fine with NNTP and Vladimir's forum software.
>
> Using old communication software like NNTP is one example of that.
> Compare with Rust's Discourse.

The only thing wrong with NNTP is that it isn't trend/hipster-compliant.
We have better things to deal with than endless Fire and Motion:

> Not understanding the importance of package managers is another (DUB
> still not part of official distro?) Compare with Rust's Cargo.

Dub does need work. It's great for simpler projects and libs, but it's
still next-to-useless for anything that JUST wants to participate in the
package repository and uses a different build system (or even rdmd for
that matter). There's some other issues as well. I've spent a lot of
time and effort trying to fix that, but it's been an exhausting uphill
battle, both technically and politically.