Females in the community.

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 28 20:20:04 PDT 2016

On 03/25/2016 03:40 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On 25.03.2016 15:56, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On 03/17/2016 01:02 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
>>> "A female" sounds like you're
>>> talking about an animal.
>>
>> Not to a native english speaker.
>
> I call bullshit on that. I don't have any strong evidence, and I'm not
> even a native English speaker myself, but I simply don't buy it.
>
> Here's the first Google hit I got for "animal documentary male female":
>
> https://youtu.be/kY7SlH3rzhQ?t=430
>
> Didn't take long to find a spot where they talk about "the males" and
> "the females", because they always do in animal documentaries.
>
> Note how the speaker switches from "male"/"female" for kangaroos to
> "man"/"woman" for humans. That's what I'm talking about.

Of course they switch like that: It's an animal documentary, it helps to
have an extra verbal cue for clarification when they switch between
talking about animals vs humans. "Man"/"Woman" implies "Human".
"Male"/"Female" are more generic than that. That's why they switch. Not
because "Male"/"Female" implies "Non-Human" (it doesn't), but because
"Man"/"Woman" DOES imply "Human" - an obviously important distinction in
an animal documentary.

Regardless of that, the whole matter is dead simple, though many are too
blinded by fear of offending to see the blatantly obvious:

Any "man" here who TRULY DOES get offended (and not just thinks he
should get offended, or that other guys might be offended) by being
called "A *MALE*" can go ahead and argue about "a woman" being
offensive. Anyone else needs to drop their paranoid, self-contradictory
bullshit.