Pre-alpha D language online tour

André via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 29 09:26:27 PDT 2016

On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 18:17:09 UTC, André wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Inspired by the Go online language tour
> (https://tour.golang.org/) and the great experience it gave me
> learning the language I started a similar project for D some
> weeks ago. It's currently in a very pre-alpha state but I
> wanted to announce it in case someone had something similar in
> mind and is willing to contribute. The basic idea behind this
> tour is to introduce features of the language with short
> explanations and example code that is compiled and run online.
>
> The code is located here:
>
> https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour
>
> I've setup a server which always runs the latest version:
>
> http://dlang-tour.steinsoft.net
>
> This tour doesn't allow compiling online because the current
> implementation would just make it too easy to hijack the server
> :-) Compiling and running online can be activated when
> compiling locally though. My goal would be to integrate the
> tour with DPaste in the long run.
>
> Working on this tour unfortunately stalled a little bit in this
> year but I am trying to work on the project constantly in the
> upcoming weeks. There is still a lot of content missing and,
> more importantly, good D source examples. But I have a rough
> guideline on which D topics I'd like to add content for.
>
> Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated, of course.

Here are great news on the dlang-tour project: As of now I've
written all content and the latest build is running on

http://dlang-tour.steinsoft.net

Somewhere ago I've implemented running code samples online (which
are run in a Docker container on the server) so the tour is fully
functional. There are still some polishing work to be left and
some issues to be fixed before this should go public:
https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/issues

I would appreciate if people could do some proof reading and just
create pull requests for the content:
https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/tree/master/public/content/en.
Or just drop me a message where you find a bug and I'll have it
fixed.

Thanks,
André