the most D-ish GUI library

Gerald via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 29 11:21:08 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 at 17:37:15 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Linux/GNOME (and any other Linux DE based on GTK):
> Use the QGtkStyle theme:
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications#QGtkStyle>
> It's a theme for Qt that *uses* GTK to render, therefore
> actually being native. (I've never actually used it though,
> since I think native GTK/GNOME/etc looks visually awful
> regardless of theme. And those file dialogs, ugh! Wish I could
> nuke those from my entire system.)

Well I'll disagree in that I much prefer the look of GTK 3 over
Qt5, at least as I've seen it in KDE but that's a personal
opinion. I run a Gnome/GTK3 environment so I avoid Qt apps as
much as possible.

> Note that an equivalent of QGtkStyle which goes the other way
> (rendering GTK programs using Qt) is no longer possible since
> GTK recently eliminated non-CSS themes (in a point release, no
> less).

I think this uses Gtk2 though and not Gtk3, there are some
differences in how Gtk2 renders versus Gtk3 so it won't be
completely seamless.

> Therefore, Qt *is* the absolute winner here. It's basically
> native everywhere. GTK isn't, and without a major policy
> reversal, cannot be.

Even though I love Gtk I will agree with this, for cross platform
work Qt is a better option then Gtk, just too bad about the lack
of bindings.