Categorization of warnings

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 29 16:57:59 PDT 2016

On Monday, 28 March 2016 at 16:21:15 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> I just submitted a PR [1] that catagorizes warnings, such that
> you can do something like this:
> dmd -w -Wno-not-reachable
> which would error on any warning except the "statement not
> reachable" warnings (it completely disables that warning).
>
> The motivation for the selective disabling/enabling of warnings
> was a recent discussion in the Learn forum [2].
>
> Please read about it in detail in the first message of the PR
> [1].
>
> - Johan
>
> [1]  https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/5592
> [2]
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/baupegcfvumouhgauetk@forum.dlang.org

I think categorizing warnings could be useful, but must point out
that for the "statement not reachable" problem (DMD 14835),
specifically, this is not really a good long term solution.

The reason is that Phobos itself contains many statements which
are "not reachable" according to the compiler's current flawed
definition. (They aren't detected as such only because the
constant folding and value range propagation capabilities are
rather weak currently.)

If Phobos requires a -Wno-not-reachable switch to compile, then
anything that uses Phobos will likely require the switch, also.
At that point, it makes more sense to just fix/remove the
warning, rather than selectively disabling it for some projects.