Pre-alpha D language online tour

André via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 30 10:29:13 PDT 2016

Thank you very much for your thorough review! I integrated your
ideas and comments in the latest version. Some additional
information on what I changed and questions left are below.

On Tuesday, 29 March 2016 at 17:10:33 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> D Basics (fix capitalization?):

The current title is "D's basics". I'm unsure what to fix here..

> Page 3, [...]  I would change the line
>
>> D also allows pointer arithmetic. This is not allowed in code
>> which is marked as @safe but only in @system code.

> D allows pointer arithmetic, except in code that is marked as
> @safe

Done.

> Page 4, This line on const is confusing
> [...]

I tried to make this part more precise.

> I feel like the static keyword is complicated enough that it
> could get its own slide (or multiple). Why not just put the
> variable at the top level without static?

Very good idea. I created a new static section in the
multi-threading chapter.

> Page 7, the discussion on delegates could be clearer.

Tried to make it more precise here, too. I also moved the section
below classes because it actually is a more advanced topic and
hasn't to
be near 'Functions, part I'.

> D Gems:
> Page 3, put the code examples on a separate line.

Done. Much more readable that way.

> Page 7, I would re-write the last line as
>[..]

Done

Mentioning now @safe, @system and @trusted.

> Page 13, conditionnally is spelled wrong.

Fixed.

> I feel like static if with templates could get a whole page by
> itself.

Thought so too when initially writing the subsection.. I'll have
another good night's sleep to decide whether I'll actually move
it :-)

> Concurrency:
> Maybe re-name Multithreading? I wouldn't consider
> std.parallelism a way to implement concurrency.

I changed the name. Better fits the topic.

> VibeD:
> Page 1: Define asynchronous I/O and why it matters. I see a
> short explanation near the end of Page 2, but I feel like it
> should be brought up to the front. Maybe make that big
> paragraph into a list of key vibe-d features and why they
> matter.

I followed your suggestion and rewrote the paragraph to include
bullet points. Also I added a line on asynchronous I/O and a
reference to the following page which explains in more detail.