Concatenative Programming Languages

BLM768 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 30 15:14:11 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 30 March 2016 at 20:53:02 UTC, Shammah Chancellor
wrote:
> I just stumbled on this wikipedia article:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concatenative_programming_language
>
> Seems like D falls under that category?
>
> -S.

Not really. UFCS allows the syntax "x.foo.bar.baz", which is
similar to a concatenative syntax, but the existence of "x" in
the expression means it's not purely concatenative.

In a purely concatenative language, "foo bar baz" would produce a
function that pipelines those three functions. "foo.bar.baz" in D
would produce a compiler error.