Friends of Rust

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 1 16:52:11 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 16:26:55 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 15:58:54 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Sunday, 1 May 2016 at 10:37:26 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

>>> That webpage really is fairly dreadful when using a dark
>>> theme.
>>>
>>> Also I'd only heard of two of the organizations.
>>
>> And yet if you are somebody in an enterprise  with decision
>> making authority and therefore with too much to do and using
>> heuristic thinking a bit too much,  which page makes the
>> better impression?
>
> @Laeeth: This is the _most often_ asked question by friends -
> aka "Who is using it?"
> = is it one of those trendy, nerdy theory projects - or is
> actually trustworthy.

Yes, exactly.  Cialdini's "Influence" social proof principle.
It's not only a question of narrow rationality, but also because
people in organizations tend to rely on heuristics for
decision-making.  So it's a no-brainer to tell people who is
using it, and I wouldn't worry about filtering it - we should
just organize by sector perhaps, and flesh out the information
about the companies so it's more than just a single line.

> So yes not only enterprises, but also "normal" people don't
> want to develop code in a language that is untrustworthy (=no
> huge userbase/backer), because they have the fear that it might
> not be compile-able  in the future (=language death).

Yes - so we should be honest, but not hide our light under a
bushel, as we do currently.  That part is one that should be
shiniest, because it's key to make a good impression, and a wiki
page doesn't really cut the mustard if someone isn't already
determined to try D.

> Another aspect that's probably also an important factor, don't
> worry I don't think like this, but I know friends who do: "why
> should I learn a language if it's not used in production and
> thus I can't get a job with it?"

Well, it won't be possible at this stage to persuade everyone,
and one shouldn't expect to succeed.  But we could do a better
job appealing to those who already want to try D but haven't yet
taken the first step.

> -> I think it's a great idea, too. We should get such a site
> too!
> So which companies could be "friends of D"?
> Just throwing in some names I heard in the last couple of weeks:
> Sociomantic? Ebay? Facebook? Weka?
>
> So if you are using D in your company, please shout!

The wiki page is a good start.  Maybe some kind of official
sponsorship category makes sense (that's a matter for the
Foundation or Walter+Andrei), but one should at least show that
there are sensible companies not prone to using technologies out
of mere idle intellectual curiosity that are doing real work with
D.