Walter's Famous German Language Essentials Guide

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 2 09:22:49 PDT 2016

On Mon, 02 May 2016 13:55:35 +0100
Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-05-02 at 12:18 +0000, Claude via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> >
> > In french, there are 2 specials cases about gender. "orgue"
> > (organ) and "amour" (love) are masculine on singular, and
> > feminine on plural.
>
> Oh FFS. And they say English is a difficult language.

LOL. Well, every language has its quirks - especially with the commonly used
words (they probably get munged the most over time, because they get used
the most), but I've found that French is far more consistent than English -
especially when get a grammar book that actually explains things rather than
just telling you what to do. English suffers from having a lot of different
sources for its various words. It's consistent in a lot of ways, but it's a
huge mess in others - though I for one think that the fact that English has
no gender like languages such as French and German is a huge win.

In any case, learning any new language is hard - especially the farther it
is from your own (e.g. Asian languages are going to generally be pretty
brutal to learn for someone speaking a European languages).

- Jonathan M Davis